The 1440 Multiversity Leadership Team1440 Multiversity is the country's newest learning destination. Inspired by our co-founders, Joanie and Scott Kriens, we believe the journey of growth and discovery starts with us. Engaged and led by Frank Ashmore, Managing Director of 1440 Multiversity, the "Hospitality Committee" is a dynamic and diverse team of culture champions whose business accomplishments, genuine passions and life experiences bring immersive learning to life in meaningful ways. Collectively, all 200 family members of 1440 represent a rich, authentic and inclusive group of deep hospitality professionals devoted to our mission by energizing and inspiring one another all 1440 minutes of each day.
- Frank AshmoreFrank AshmoreManaging Director
Frank has strategic oversight of all aspects of the private 75-acre learning destination campus, reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors. Frank is an accomplished trainer and authentic leader with an extensive background in community and philanthropic activities. He enjoys his daily meditation practice and has an accomplished track record over his 25+ year career working for globally recognized luxury lifestyle brands such as The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, Capella Hotels & Resorts, The Resort at Pelican Hill, and Meadowood Napa Valley, to name a few. The Michigan native relocated to California from Arizona where he served as Area Managing Director for Omni Hotels & Resorts. Frank and his wife Cathy of 28 years enjoy spending time together in nature and have two sons, Nicholas and Anthony, in addition to their rescue dog, Rio.
- Michael BerrioMichael BerrioSr. Director of Operations
Michael is responsible for daily campus operations, as well as the student and guest experience. As a 15-year international business leader with diverse entrepreneurial skills, his foundational leadership is centered around a strong staff culture of "deep hospitality"—a deep love of others. Michael has lived in five countries, including his homeland of Colombia, and is an experienced diplomatic and charismatic ambassador for 1440. Michael is a family man at heart and has been married to his wife Paola for six years. They are proud parents to their son Jacob.
- Steve BettencourtSteve BettencourtDirector of Campus Facilities and Safety
As an original pre-opening staff member, Steve has the responsibility of maintaining the grandeur of the 75-acre campus while providing a safe environment for all guests, staff, and faculty. Steve's facility and maintenance experience spans two decades to include multidirectional improvement construction projects. He is highly motivated to provide an enjoyable experience to all under his care and his teams are highly efficient and helpful. Steve's humble approach and sense of humor are evident in the beautiful grounds, facility, and care provided to guests by his team. A devout man of faith, Steve and his wife Lydia have been married for 20 years and have three daughters, Sydney, Ivy, and Romy.
- Cathy BrockCathy BrockDirector of EventsAn advocate of learning, Cathy joined 1440 Multiversity to enhance the learning environment for all visitors and build a one-of-a-kind event experience. Cathy is a graduate of San Francisco State University and has been a respected Director of Events for nearly three decades. Cathy's passion for perfection was engrained in her at a young age by her family growing up in Taiwan and her commitment to family and team is contagious. She has been married to her husband Steve for 22 years and they enjoy spending time together with their daughter Jessica and golden retriever Chloe.
- Michelle ClapertonMichelle ClapertonDirector of Program DevelopmentMichelle brings 15-years of global experience to our campus and a passion for health and wellness as experienced by her previous work experiences at Six Senses in Thailand, Ananda in India, Shangri-La in Canada and most recently, The Four Seasons Westlake Village in California where she served as Executive Director of the California Health & Longevity Institute. Health and well-being are at the forefront of Michelle's pursuits and daily practices such as transcendental meditation. Michelle is a loving mom and wife to her husband Spencer and daughter Isla and loves to travel, dance, and hike.
- Eke DuboisEke DuboisDirector of Information Technology and Audio-Visual Services
Eke provides integral leadership for the continued development of an innovative, robust, and secure information technology environment. With an emphasis on content presentation and distribution throughout the 1440 campus, this 20-year veteran's office encompasses a wide variety of strategic technology services and audio visual production oversight for faculty, staff, and events. Eke is a former monk and mindful practitioner with a strong sense of charity. He and his wife Cherifa have been married for 15 years, love the outdoors, and enjoy spending time with their daughters Lalita, Lotus, and Lily.
- Larry MaloneyLarry MaloneyDirector of Finance
Larry joined the 1440 team after 30 years with Quorum Hotels & Resorts where he held a variety of corporate, area, and property finance assignments, most recently overseeing a portfolio of 14 properties. In his role at 1440 Larry leads all financial activities of the campus and is a key collaborator regarding the foundation policy implementation and maintaining the 501(c)(3) campus nonprofit status. Larry obtained his MBA in finance from the University of South Florida, is an avid outdoorsman, enjoys volunteering in the community, and is the proud father of two daughters, Paige and Laura.
- Kenny WoodsKenny WoodsCulinary Director and Executive Chef
Kenny is a special, creative, and mindful leader who directs a team of over 40 culinary professionals at 1440 who are fully committed to serving fresh, healthy food utilizing only local and sustainable nutritious ingredients. Kenny helped create all culinary concepts at 1440 Multiversity's inception and his passion for health and wellness continues to evolve culinary and educational experiences for all guests. Kenny attributes his love for food to cooking in the kitchen with his Italian grandmother, making fresh tortellini en brodo. Kenny's professional career started with Fox Restaurant Concepts in Tucson, Arizona, and during his 12-year career with Fox he hosted monthly seasonal community dinners and helped open restaurants across the country. Kenny expresses gratitude each morning with a meditation on West Cliff in Santa Cruz and is committed to the region's farming community by insisting that 1440 only serve their local product!