Learn. Plan. Grow.
All professional teams need the opportunity to think critically about how they function and where they can improve. We believe nonprofit professionals in particular need key support to help realize their far-reaching goals with limited resources. Service Week is four days each year in which the 1440 campus offers only professional development programming for the nonprofit sector.
For: Teams of nonprofit staff, board members, and stakeholders
Cost: Free (You only pay travel expenses)
Dates: Monday evening, Sept 4 through Friday lunchtime, Sept 8
Application Deadline: May 1, 2017
More info: Read our FAQ
Service Week is designed to serve Bay Area nonprofit staff, board members, and key stakeholders, as well as select national nonprofit representatives to assist with:
- Strategic planning
- Organizational development, conflict resolution, and culture enrichment
- Exposure to new ideas leading to new capacities for nonprofit success
- Adopting healthy lifestyle practices to counteract burn-out tendencies
- Enlarging networks and finding new collaborators
- Creating meaningful board/staff relationships.
1440 Multiversity will provide free room, board, and programs from Monday night through Friday noon for all attendees. Programs include stimulating and inspiring lectures and workshops led by expert faculty on topics widely considered crucial to nonprofit success.
Created in partnership with the Center for Excellence in Nonprofits, Service Week programming promises to be highly relevant and stimulating.
Possible topics include:
- Board/staff relations
- Fund-Raising: key precepts for successful execution
- Hiring and firing done well
- How to best handle difficult conversations
- Financial planning and budget approaches
- Strategic planning: best practices and successful approaches
- Collaborating partnerships: how to get the most from them and how to avoid mistakes
- Making your case: how to broaden your appeal and network
- Strategies for growth and scaling your mission and impact
- Protecting your nonprofit status: legal practices, financial procedures and mission considerations.
- Earned Income: how to reduce your reliance on outside funding through earned-income strategies
- Stress and burnout: organizational strategies
Each day will offer two workshop sessions and one evening session. Some sessions will be 2–3 hours in length and others might be day-long or multi-day events. Participants may select which lectures to attend, and can come or go as they see fit.
Participants will have use of the whirlpool, walking trails, and the morning and afternoon yoga and meditation classes. Participants will be able to enjoy services at the Healing Arts center at discounted rates.
Evenings will include relaxed time to connect, meet new people, and reflect on the day’s experiences.
1440 Multiversity offers many types of housing – the bulk of which is shared rooms. 1440 will assign housing according to a variety of criteria.
All organizations interested in attending Service Week are invited to apply by May 1, 2017. Please note individuals may not apply without being part of a team. Approved applicants will be notified within 6-8 weeks of the May 1 deadline.
Need more info? Read our FAQ.